Our Users report that they can see a map displayed, but it is not of their current location. Why is this?
PoliceBox and Quvo are 'location aware', which means that it is possible to receive, view, and (possibly) take action, about Tasks that have been sent to them based upon their current geographic location. In some cases, users might not immediately get to display the map showing their current location. This is often due to permissions on the device and within the app itself.
This article looks at how to enable Location Service and Location Permission. Click on the link for your device/operating system.
We also have some commentary for the benefit of IT administrators, if it turns out that you are unable to enable either the Location service or the Location permission. Click here for that commentary.
Android devices are quite straight forward when it comes to enabling the location service and applying the permission to PoliceBox/Quvo. We will provide generic instructions in this article as there is a wide range of different devices from each manufacturer.
If you are not sure how to enable location service or app permissions consult the website and knowledgebase from your device's manufacturer for more specific details.
Location Service Setting
It is a good idea to enable the location service before installing the PoliceBox/Quvo app. You can always temporarily disable the location service afterwards. But, if you have disabled the location service while using PoliceBox/Quvo, you will not benefit from the location-aware features and it may be against your organisation's policy to disable the location service.
- Some settings can be accessed by 'swiping' down from the top of the screen.
- Where this is possible, swipe-down, and then tap on the location icon to toggle it 'on'.
- Otherwise, go into your Settings app, and scroll down until you find the 'Location' option. Inside the Location option there will be the option to turn the Location service on.
- We have provided images for either route for a Samsung device to help with navigating.
Location App Permission
Each Android App must make a request to you to have access to parts of your device. For the location data type, this will occur when PoliceBox/Quvo has been first installed, and you have successfully logged in.
- Click on 'while using this app', to enable the permission. This is the most convenient option.
- If you managed to press 'Deny' when this question is displayed on your device, you will be able to into the Settings app on your device and enable the permission. We will explain this process, next.
- To enable the Location permission, you will need to go into your Settings app on your device.
- In the list of Settings, there will be an option for Apps. Tap on Apps and scroll through the list until you find the entry for PoliceBox/Quvo
- Tap on the entry for PoliceBox/Quvo, this will reveal the control screen for enabling permissions.
- Tap on 'Permissions'. The list of available permissions will be displayed in this screen. They will be separated between 'Allowed' and 'Denied'.
- Tap on the Location permission and ensure that it moves into 'Allowed' from 'Denied'.
The first step is to enable the location privacy setting, and then enable the location permission for PoliceBox/Quvo. It is best if the location privacy setting is enabled before the app is installed.
Location Privacy Setting
- Click on the Start Menu, then click on the Settings Charm (icon)
- In the list of categories, choose 'Privacy'. Tip: You might have to click the home icon in the Settings screen to get back up to this 'top' level settings menu.
- Once in the Privacy settings screen, find the 'Location' section (as shown below) and toggle the switch to 'on' which will allow apps to access your location.
- If you have not yet installed Quvo/PoliceBox, you will now be able to close the Settings window and go ahead to install the app.
- If you want to know how to enable the Location permission, continue reading.
The next step is to enable the location permission. The easiest way is to do this when the app is first installed and you login for the first time. Simply click 'Yes' when prompted.
However, if for some reason the Location permission was not enabled when the app was first installed, you can do it afterwards by going into the Settings.
- Click on the Start menu, then click on the Settings Charm (icon).
- In the list of categories, choose 'Apps'. Tip: You might have to click the home icon in the Settings screen to get back up to this 'top' level settings menu.
- Scroll through the list of apps until you reach PoliceBox/Quvo. Click on it to expand its display, then click on 'Advanced options'
- You will be able to toggle the Location permission to 'on'.
- Once the permission has been enabled, simply close the Settings window, you will be able to go into the PoliceBox/Quvo app and see the map display the area around your current location.
iOS Devices (iPhone / iPad)
To be completed.
Mobile Device Management Platforms (MDM)
Where the device you are using belongs to your company, it is very likely that the company has applied certain policies and settings to the device to comply with a corporate information security policy.
If it is not possible to enable the location privacy setting in your device, it might be due to an MDM policy. Please contact your company's IT desk in the first instance so that it can be checked out.
You might need to reboot your phone to get the latest policy settings sent to your device.